There are millions of restaurants, but if you have a food allergy you know eating out can be a challenge. We created this site to help you the next time you wonder, "Can I Eat There?"

You'll find links to food allergen guides for restaurants good enough to provide them and info on how to check out those that don't. Our city specific posts are decicated to those local joints we all love.

We hope this site expands your dining horizons... and keeps you healthy!

7.25.2008

Horray for Jelly Belly!!

The goal of this blog is, of course, to provide info on eating out with a food allergy, but every once and a while we like to share another experience.

I am currently about six months pregnant and am preparing to do my glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. My doctor gave me a fruit punch glucola drink to take for the test... well, it contains brominated vegetable oil. Whenever I see vegetable oil I am immediately on alert. So I looked it up, sure enough it is made from soybeans. So, since I have a soy allergy, I am hesitant to drink to it (not mention it contains all kinds of other strange ingredients that I've never heard of). I called my doctor and asked, "Is there anything else I can eat or drink for the test?" Her reply: eat 63 Jelly Bellys in 3 minutes.

But, of course, I need to check those for soy too. So this morning I emailed Jelly Belly through the Ask a Question page on their web site. Given my recent experience with Jimmy John's and their contact us page, I wasn't hopeful. But VOILA! within an hour I had a reply from a real person!! Only two flavors of Jelly Belly contain soy - Chocolate Pudding and Dark Chocolate. Jelly Belly's advice: "We have a couple of brown colored beans - Chocolate Pudding, Dark Chocolate, and A&W Root beer, so as long as you stay away from the brown colored beans, you should be alright!"

Thanks Jelly Belly for being so on top of it!!!

FYI... Jelly Belly does have other information on other common allergens on its FAQ page.

1 comment:

Jade said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It may sound weird but I almost cried when I read it. I've been searching out which of my kids' favorite candies will be safe to put in their stockings this Christmas. Win on the Jelly Bellies!!!